Monday, 24 April 2017

Progress From a Better Process.

It has been a while since I sat down to write a blog post as I have been so busy with applying various edits and so on to my manuscript. Well, I am pleased to say that after going through it, as well as applying feedback from a couple of the beta readers (more will be applied later), the manuscript got to as good a place as I can get it right now. So, yesterday, I sent it off to be edited before posting it to Amazon.

I have been lucky this time around. Mr. Brian Niemeier, the Dragon Award-winning author of the novel SoulDancer, has undertaken editing duties for me, something I consider a real honor as his work speaks for itself. As I have mentioned before, a mistake I made in the past with my first book, Nomads, was that I did not have it properly edited and pretty much rushed it onto Amazon. I look back on it and still cringe to myself, but with this book, I think I have managed to avoid that mistake. I took more time editing it myself and asking beta readers to pick it apart, two things alone that I never did before and that has been an interesting ride. In that regard, special thanks must go to Michael Fisher, a friend of mine from work who gave me his spare time to beta read, Bre Faucheux, who gave me some amusing feedback when she had picked up on some of the English slang I had used, Angela Night, who provided some in-depth feedback for me, especially with the characters and some of the more technical aspects, and also Brian Hall, who pointed out an overuse of exposition in places that I could cut down on.

But it doesn't end there.

One aspect I really wanted to focus on was audiobooks, but sadly I lacked both the talent and the equipment in order to record my own. One day, Brian (Niemeier) tweeted about a man whom he had spoken to about audiobooks for his own work, JimFear138, and vouched for the quality of his services. Jim and I had a number of conversations, the result was him agreeing to record the audiobook version of my book. Jim had performed the prologue of my short story, Darkest Before Dawn, to show me what he could do and I was blown away by it. Once the manuscript has been edited, it will be sent to him to work his magic with and I cannot wait for the results.

I will keep those interested in my work updated because this time I have worked with some absolute professionals to make this book, titled Penance, a much better product than before. I can look at this and say I am more than proud of it. In the mean time, I shall present you with the finished cover, by the wonderful Peta-Lynn Fraser and ask that you watch this space.


No comments:

Post a Comment