Sunday, 13 November 2016

So About The Election Result...


Yes, I'm going there.
I said in a couple of conversations a while back that I thought Donald Trump would win because of the way he spoke, directly to the voters themselves, it seemed, but there was still doubt in my mind. I woke up for work on the morning the voting began and checked my phone to see he was ahead, I then traveled to work and watched what I could of the vote count before my shift started and his lead became larger, I won't deny that I found the footage of Hillary supporters watching in shock and crying quite amusing. When he won I found it both funny and shocking, not only because he had won and people were panicking about it, but because he had pulled off one of the biggest political upsets in living memory. What made me laugh the most about the whole thing was the celebrities and how they were before the result and then after it and how much a difference there was between them and the regular voter, the working class man or woman.


On Twitter alone, the tweets from celebrities etc was a sight to behold, from the likes of Stephen King, Tara Strong, Patton Oswalt, Miley Cyrus, Rose Mcgowan and even idiots like Laci Green were coming across as if they were throwing every toy they could possibly find out of their pram because the result was not what they wanted, and it was comical, the guy isn't even in the office yet and people were still doing their best to drive him into the ground. One of the odd things I did notice was a Twitter account in the name of Clint Eastwood (it was not actually him) did celebrate the win with a tweet but was suddenly banned soon afterward, not reason given but then again, Twitter never does explain itself when it comes to that.

Some of the television I watched that day had reporters interviewing regular working people in the street and a lot of them were happy with the result, there were, of course, those who were protesting in the street about it and I wasn't surprised in the slightest, there is even a petition going at the time of writing this to get the result changed, Tara Strong herself appears to support it. As an Englishman living in the UK, I watched this from a distance with no horse in the race and have found this sort of behavior the very definition of sour grapes, Trump was a controversial figure from the get go and almost everybody had their knives out for him, media coverage that I observed was mostly biased against him, especially when Thomas Friedman published this piece for The New York Times, but when it came to pieces that criticised Hillary in any kind of way, I barely saw any at all. One that was written was for The Huffington Post, which raised some questions about her health but the article was taken down with no explanation given, the writer of the piece was apparently fired shortly afterward. Another writer, Michael Tracey, took a look at actress Lena Dunham and whether she deceived the public or not over her voting, he was fired from Vice for doing so, which I'm sure had nothing to do with the fact that Vice's Cheif Operating Officer had attended "off record parties" by the Clinton campaign. There was also the news of attacks and abuse towards Trump supporters such as Kassy Dillon, founder of Lone Conservative, who has reported being verbally abused and shouted at on her campus, the man who once encouraged Trump to run for president back in 2013, Russell Steinberg, has had vile things tweeted at him and had to block many people as a result and even Zoe Quinn has received emails blaming her for Trump winning, which is kind of funny.

After the American media (which was supposed to be the unbiased fourth estate) and various celebrities spent so long telling the average working class who they should be voting for, their arrogance finally came back to bite them in the ass. I will not be one of those who attacks him when he hasn't done anything yet, I will sit back and watch and will judge him after four years and make my mind up then. I respect him for doing what he has done, an outsider who has turned the whole system on its head, showed that polls mean shit these days and exposed a lot of media personalities and celebrities for who they are underneath. I wish him all the best in his new role and shall watch with interest, but for now, I shall leave you with this little gem, which makes me smile whenever I see it.




No comments:

Post a Comment