Thursday, 27 October 2016

"Harassment"

The word "Harassment" is a term that is thrown around the internet and the media a lot these days, you can thank people like Anita Sarkeesian for that one. She would often use it as a way of deflecting criticism from her videos as each one was easily torn to shreds by her many, many critics out there. Since then many others have used it in the same fashion, especially if they are one of these modern feminist types when faced with a large amount of criticism such as Randi Harper and the Prince of Idiots himself, Jonathan McIntosh. Recently the dreaded word popped up again, but once again it went down the same road.


Most people I know view this modern feminism that is about these days as a very nasty, hostile, and hypocritical movement, myself included. Many of its figureheads such as Chanty Binx and Kate Smurthwaite claim to be about "equality" but they often act just as bad and if not worse than the very thing they claim to fight against. Binx is known for her rude protest against a group of men's rights activists and when one of them addressed male suicide with her, she sang "Cry Me a River", Smurthwaite made an ass of herself recently in an exchange with Peter Lloyd on Sky News at the end of the debate and it's a funny moment, to say the least, take a look at the smile on Lloyd's face at the end; a grin of victory as a simple remark sends her off the edge so easily. I learned today of the writer for Marvel Comic's Mockingbird, Chelsea Cain, had apparently  "quit Twitter" due to "harassment" over her writing of the now canceled series. The problem I have nowadays is that when I hear the word "harassment", I always want to see proof of it before I believe it. Some may criticize me for that and you know what? Be my guest but asking for proof is not an unfair thing to ask for when such claims are made. One of the journalists out there that I have respect for is a man named Brad Glasgow, an independent writer who took a look at the whole thing and wrote an interesting piece about it.

Glasgow discovered that whilst there had been articles written about Cain's quitting of Twitter, he could not find any examples of harassment to support it and nor was he given any examples. As his piece also showed the short exchange between writer Brian S Hall and author on one piece on it, Eder Campuzano, in which Hall asked for proof and Campuzano would not comply. I can only wonder why. The narrative of a woman being forced to quit Twitter is a great one that always brings in the clicks, most people seem to forget that not only that Twitter is an open forum but there are also two great tools that it provides: a mute button and a block button. I am aware that people do get insulted and harassed on there but all it takes is a couple of clicks and it is gone each time someone does it to you, I've been insulted on there numerous times but I often find it amusing as I know none of those who do so would dare do it to my face, I remember one guy who went after me a long time ago ended up blocking me because I dared to give it back to him.

What I have also noticed also is that this made a good story because of who Cain was and what comic she was writing, there have been other cases recently that were notable but the media did not cover them much. The model Nicole Edelmann quit Twitter after Gizmodo's nasty article about her boyfriend, Palmer Luckey where she was included to try and show how much of a "terrible person" he was because he apparently supported Donald Trump (he doesn't) but this did not receive much in the way of media attention besides ones from smaller websites. The irony of that situation was that the press inadvertently proved that Gamergate did indeed have women who supported it, but that went over the heads of many. Cassie Jaye, a feminist filmmaker had to fight to get a documentary she was making, where she took a fair look at the Men's Rights Activists made after funding was pulled in an attempt to shut it down. After a very successful Kickstarter, of which I was a backer, she was able to get it finished but she still had a fight to face as feminists in Australia managed to get a screening of it shut down. It did receive some coverage but not the very pleasant type like The Guardian demonstrated, all because she wanted to explore other viewpoints fairly.

It seems where we live in times where victimhood is worth more than professional merit and I just shake my head at the whole thing. When it comes to Mockingbird nobody thinks to mention that the comic's sales dropped just as much as Angela: Queen of Hel's did, I've seen screenshots of Mockingbird that tell me all I need to about its content, but with AQOH it really was as bad as people made it out to be. Again, though people will either forget or ignore this as the "harassment" narrative is a good one but as the Boy Who Cried Wolf showed a long time ago: that eventually turned into a sword that cuts both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment