Sunday, 18 September 2016

So I Read... Monstress.


If there was any justification in my mind as to why I had left the likes of Marvel behind and gone to the smaller publishers, Monstress is a prime example of it. I do not think I have come across such a fine combination of writing and artwork since I can remember and it is no surprise to me that I had such a job on my hands finding some of the back issues.

A young lady named Maika faces an ongoing struggle to control a psychic link she had with a very powerful monster as she and her friends are hunted as a potential war rages around them. That is as much of the story I can go into without spoiling anything but the writing for this series is wonderful, it focuses on the story and does not try to shove in any unwanted politics and as a result; flows through the issues nicely. It is especially awesome that the first issue is 66 pages long, talk about kicking things off with a bang, so credit to Majorie Liu for writing such a wonderful start.

Sana Takeda's artwork is a thing of beauty and to describe it as anything less would be an injustice, I can only wonder how long it takes to do but it is some of the best that I have ever seen in a comic.

It is also amazing to see that there are no variant covers for this series, there are second prints for some of the issues but in my mind, they do not count when it comes to this sort of thing and I can understand it as the series has been quite popular.

I cannot recommend this series enough, the trade paperback of the first story arc is out now and if you cannot be bothered to track down the back issues, I would go with that but either way I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with the content of this one, not by a long shot.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment